Sunday 9 February 2020

Gunpla: The Gundam Astaroth (IBO HG)

A thought occurs, I should probably do a Gundam for a gunpla article at some point.... OK, Gundam Astaroth. then. 




I probably should give Iron-Blooded Orphans a go at some point. It's on Netflix, so it's not like there's any real barrier. Except its got a reputation for being excessively bleak, and that's not what I'm doing this for. My gunpla habit is meant to be one of relaxation and self-care, so an anime about child soldiers, with themes of fustian pacts, is not of much interest. Then again, it turns out this is from a spin-off manga, so watching the show wouldn't be nessecary, but my relecutance stands. I mention this for context. I have no prior connection to this particular Gundam, and its named for a baron of hell. I do hope that it doesn't turn out that this one squishes kittens for money, or something similarly edgelord. With that in mind, I picked up this kit for the following reasons.

1) 'twas cheap.
2) It was asymmetrical.
3) It came with a stupidly large anime sword, CALLED A DEMOLITIONS KNIFE, and a big oven-mitt to help hold it.
4) It's blue, and blue is lucky. WAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!




Anyways, let's talk robot skeletons, or more properly, Mobile/Gundam Frames. These are something that gunpla modellers can have a bit of a fetish about, such things being considered a mark of quality. Seriously, people love the Master Grades and so on for letting you build a Gundam with no armour, but lots of pistons. The Iron-Blooded Orphans line is notable for doing that sort of thing at 1/144 scale, its a gimmick of the setting, and Atas here is a beneficiary of that. You build it up bones first, and then plate the armour on top. This makes for a fun build, especially as the Astaroth has unique parts for each limb. While I have applied stickers and Gundam Marker, and it looks great, I almost want to go skin it and inkwash the whole thing, just to make the mechanics pop. As it stands, this approach does make the Astaroth look malnourished from some angles, but this does mean that articulation is largely unhindered and number of the joints is high. Sure, it could have a toe joint or summat, but the Gundam Astaroth moves exactly as well as you'd expect something like it to move. Correction: there is a toe joint, my mistake. It does not cheat by having swing out shoulders or trick hips either, it's just got a good range of motion. And while I've not had opportunity to try, customisation and parts swapping with other Gundams should be easy. 




So, we're looking at a kit that goes together well, my cackhandedness aside, looks great with basic techniques, and poses like a boss. What does it do wrong? Well, a sword longer than the robot is tall is a little impractical. I know, who would have thought it? You have to disassemble the left hand, then fiddle with the over-hand, and finally use the side handle in the right to get the suit to hold it properly. You may wish to apply the joint tightening hack of your choice, but it's not unexpected, and not actually an unreasonable failing. I would however comment that the vast sea of white plastic does make things look extremely plain, and some of the stickers aren't great. I didn't actually start to like the look of things until I went back, weeks later, the panel line all THAT. There are also two alternate weapons, a much tinier knife, which I have misplaced, and an assault rifle. These are perfectly OK, but lack the storage option the sword has. 





Gundam Astaroth probably benefited from me writing this up shortly after I'd done 2 much older kits, but it is good. Makes me want to pick up a few more from the line, TBH.

No comments:

Post a Comment