Sunday 13 June 2021

Gunpla: The OZ-06MS Leo (HGAC) Yes, AGAIN

 

As you may recall, this is not the first Leo I've done. I can only assume I might like the design at the point. The unfamiliar might ask what a Leo is? Well, it's a memetically expendable and faceless Grunt mobile Suit, made infamous by the series Gundam Wing. My previous comments on the design may be found here, and  here. I'm not repeating myself, when I can instead attempt to drive up traffic by crosslinking articles. We're gonna mainly talk about paints today.




This was an impulse purchase following a trying week which became an opportunity to try something out. The basic assembly and finishing of the Leo was largely the same as the last one, with panels lined with a Unipin Fine Line. The transparent sensor panel was placed atop an area of metallic gundam marker, rather than a reclaimed bit of spare sticker. This makes it a little bit duller, but that wasn't an issue as I was not aiming for shiny. This time, the tip of the gun was painted with one of those newish GW "Contrast Colours", specifically Black Templar. This was a leftover from an abandoned attempt to speed-paint some Ork Boyz. At the risk of going off topic, I found the Contrasts rather disappointing there, which is why the end products haven't been posted on here, but it was acceptable in this project. I suppose black is a hard colour to get wrong. Once the basics had been achieved, I moved on to the matter of "weathering". This was done via generous applications of GW Typhus Corrosion, one of the older but generally reliable Technical range. As paints go, it amounts to something midway between a brown wash and a textured paint which you are encouraged to smear. And smear it I did, placing emphasis on the legs and hard lines. I wanted this to look something that been in the mud like an actual soldier. 

 



The Leo is possibly not an ideal candidate for this technique due to its simplicity and scale, it is still a good one given its obvious grunt stylings. I liked the overall result so much that I decided against trying a chipping effect for the shield. Sometimes, you just look at something, and say to yourself, "Nah, that's great as is.". Plus, I've never seen a Leo survive long enough to chip the paint on a shield. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment