Sunday 7 August 2022

Plamo: Ork Trukk Attempt 2 (Scratchbuild, Warhammer 40k)

 


OK, the story so far. As part of my seeming relapse back into wh40k, I've been looking at doing up my Ork army from spares and salvaged parts. I'd decided to scratch build some trukks as a way to minimise the number of Boyz I'd have to make, and for the experience. The prototype went quite well, in that I got a gaming piece out of it and made mistakes I learned from. Today's subject is about what learned from those mistakes. Short version: I did better.



Confident that my basic method was sound, I opted to try again with two adjustments. One, I'd keep this closer to scale by having a modern GW example to hand, and two, I'd put more shapes in the build, so it was less blocky. Towards that latter aim, I took inspiration from historical armoured cars and old trucks, so it would have a turret and a rounded hood. I also had the idea of adding a windbreak to the roof, and I'm happy with the overall effect. It's still a little squarish, but it's not a big obvious block. I'm also pleased with details around the engine and hatches.





I'd also made some quality of life improvements during the build. I stopped using pen lids and instead used the pens, which proved to be a good fit for the wheels I had. As well as wheels, toy cars provided scrap plastic for the flatbed, having an unexpected but usable texture to them. I'd also got the hang of my hole punch pliers for rivets, and was astonished by the revelation that pva glue COULD ACTUALLY STICK RIVETS TO A MODEL! It's not just for kids any more, you just have to let it dry, and then it works as well as super glue in that narrow application. Painting continued in my rough drybrush/stippling style, which maybe is too dirty now, but works.


 

All in all, a quite satisfying project. I just need to do one more, and it's time to get serious about passengers and tank treads. 

 

Work in Progress Pics



No comments:

Post a Comment