Sunday 30 April 2023

Gaslands: Deathskull “Burny Wagon”



Yes, yes, I know. I know. There was a time when this blog did something other than Gaslands. It's just that they are so fun and quick to make. I do have some more involved projects on the back burner, but as those are fairly time-consuming, I had to revert back to the Battletech style "one model a week" format. Expect more varied content once the buffer is built back up.

 


OK, we cool? Right. I don't think it's especially unreasonable to suggest that Fire Engines, or Fire Trucks, are an inherently awesome thing. Big things with flashing lights that stop your house from burning down? Or possibly it's what comes to cut you out of your car? Or, stereotypically, rescue a cat from a tree? It's the embodiment of domestic heroism. And one small pleasure of my childhood was the fact my dad was a Fire Fighter, and thus I got to ride on several. While I wasn't searching for one, a chanced on a damaged toy example, and a thought presented itself. Let's make it a literal fire engine. And then go that one step further by painting it blue.



Now, this Carousel/Tesco toy isn't super big, scale goes a bit funny with such things, and you'll often see trucks shrunk down to fit the standardised packet. Nor is it a good visual  match for british fire engines. But it's close enough. The cabin also put me in mind of the Ork Battlewagon, and as I had a few of those Ramshackle Games bits left, I went to town. Specifically, I used an orky ram I'd been saving for another project, and built-up what remained of the ladder into a flamer turret. This was a very free-form project, and I didn't have a plan beyond "weaponised fire engine with two heavy machine guns up front". In terms of game mechanics, it's probably not too good, but it has dakka, rammy, and burny in bulk. It's there to crash into people before gate 1, and then punish anyone ahead of it thereafter. Once the gubbins were layered on, I painted it in my usual manner. In that process, I then dropped it, and was reminded why it's bad to do that with resin bits. It survived, thankfully.

 



This probably came out too rusty, but damn if if this wasn’t fun.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment