Sunday 2 July 2023

Plamo: Mule Transport (Mantic Games)


OK, here's the deal. Sometimes you pick up something not because you have something specific in mind, but because you know you'll find a use for it. The logic here was that it was a tenner, would lend itself well to any number of projects, but it fell by the wayside. Then Xenos Rampant happened, and my experiments in human infantry. So this instead became a straight build, or in XR terms a Softskin Transport.



As model kits go the Mule seems pretty decent, although it lacked instructions. That didn't slow me down, but it could have been a real nuisance. The axles and shock absorbers are all separate parts, which is great for kitbashing, but not ideal for structural stability. The gun shield was kind of an annoying piece too, so I only did half of it. On the plus side, this was the "plague" version, which meant it came with some nasty looking spikes and damaged parts. I'll use those in a future project. The tailgate also opens, if you don’t glue it.

 


I painted this in much the same way as my Iron Brothers, spraying in Color Forge Desert Sand, but the wheels were sprayed in Trench Brown to be added later. I sponged the Death Guard green on top on that with a, um, sponge, to create a camouflage effect. I then applied assorted weathering techniques and liberal applications of my homemade mud paint, the latter helping with the camouflage effect. It all worked out pretty well although I probably wouldn’t do the windows in black again.

 


I’ve not got a huge amount to say about this one, I admit. This was a quick project I was doing inbetween stuff I was struggling with, Its a perfectly adequate kit, and I painted it in a way that was more efficient than especially interesting. Maybe this is why Astra Militarium players are treadheads? Its not just that the tanks are cool, its far less of a ball-ache to paint tanks than infantry? That said, if you’re doing humies or orks, the Mule seems well-worth getting when its on sale.


No comments:

Post a Comment