Sunday 18 September 2022

Oldhammer: Deathskull Ork Meganobs

Following the Battlewagon, I found myself in need of something to do, but not quite having a hold on what to do next. I do have inclinations to do an Orktober buggy for, well, Orktober, but it wasn't clicking. I've done more Boyz since the last lot too, although that's not hugely interesting. So, I got some dettol, and went for a project less time consuming. A repaint and renovation job. Meganobz.



Meganobz are a venerable unit with a phallic name, having roots as far back as 1st edition, but 3rd edition gave their current niche. They are for all intents and purposes the orkish answer to Space Marine Terminators, ultimately not as varied as beakies, nor as blessed with invulnerable saves, but quite happy in the comparison. As such, these can present a bit of a surprise for an opposing player, whom might expect an Ork force to lean more on numbers or speed. What, you say you’ve got 2 million flame weapons? Well, OK, it might not help. When I originally built these, the modern clan system did not exist, so I did mine in red, which is a big part of why they needed repainting. As to why they are equipped as they are? Well, killsaws weren't a thing yet either, but kombi-skorchas were. These worked a bit differently back in the day, but it was hard to beat them for cost-effective murder, something that still seems to be true today. The rokkit dude was something from a mixed lot, and I don't think he's ever seen combat because rokkits were/are a poor fit for this unit. 

 


I'd already customised these, so the renovation here was less involved than with the Killa Kans. The major difference was new heads on two, and various additional gubbins and rivets to break things up. There wasn't a great variety in the original metal tbh, but I will admit to building up the shoulders help with the joins. I also applied a bit of wall filler in places to add rusty texture, as well as on the base. Painting was attempted in much the same manner as my scratchbuilt vehicles, with any un-armoured bits of Ork done in the same manner as my Boyz. Painting progressed relatively quickly as a result, as I've honed in on a passable way to ork skin & teeth that goes well with dry brushing and stippling for metal. 

 


In general, this was a great success, definitely table-worthy. I'm not overly fond of how the horns came out, and maybe it could be a lighter blue, but it works. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment