Sunday 12 March 2023

Gaslands: A Blue Monster Truck


At time of writing, I find myself at a bit of a precipice. I’ve found my attempts to kitbash and paint Gaslands cars to be about 1000% successful. There’s always new things to learn, but I think I have nailed the whole rustbucket/Mad-Max look. I also have the Gaslands rulebook, so the tactical part of my brain is grinding away, and I’ve got some bits on order. I don’t really want to commit too strongly too anything just now, I’m Gamesmastering again BTW, effectively putting me into in holding pattern. But that’s not necessarily a problem, as I’m running ahead on the blog. So, here’s a slightly shorter article as awaiting for things to turn up.




So, I forget what this toy was originally called, but I it got from a poundshop possibly more than a year ago. It was picked up with an eye towards Orky kitbashes thanks to its axles and wheels. I hadn’t intended to give the diecast car bit any attention, but as I’m into Gaslands now, the obvious happened. I had two originally but, the first was sadly sacrificed on the altar of “trial & error”, and we won’t be seeing it today. While this is fundamentally the same sort of project as Blue Team, the same paints and kitbashing approach, I did do three things a bit different.



The first thing I did was take the monster truck apart. This is something that matchbox cars and the like don’t easily allow for, as they are bolted together. A lot of the cheaper brands however, including toys like this, are screwed together instead, so you can get at the internals. This means that the wire mesh I normally use on the windows could be placed inside the car, making it look a bit better. The second thing I did was replace the wheels, attaching old GW plastic wheels with hot glue and paperclips as a replacement. There was nothing actually wrong with the originals, but they were deliberately oversized, and that wasn’t what I was aiming for. The circa 1997 small plastic GW wheel, AKA the titchy ones from the Gorkamorka Trukk, was both a better fit and a part I was unlikely to use otherwise. The last thing I did was apply a new variant of bicarbonate of soda based paint for another rust effect. I mixed this up myself, going as grainy as possibly, also applying a more typical mix for mud effects.



Generally, this worked out great. And as I am a huge great nerd, it has amused me to name this vehicle: “No-As-Big-As-Medium-Jock-But-Bigger-Than-Wee-Jock-Jock".



No comments:

Post a Comment