Sunday 21 April 2024

Plamo: More Killa Kanz, Because Reasons


OK, context. It was the days leading up the TFNation Mini-Con. I'd fumbled the travel arrangements a touch. I had booked off the day before to make travel easier, i.e. stay overnight so I could assist with setting up the Toy-Fu stall in the morning, but I'd ended up booking a cheap train ticket late in the evening. I would later regret this choice due to train difficulties. This also left me with more free time than I would usually have, and my brainworms didn't like this. It goes against the grain just to take a lazy day, so, OK, let's have a model to work on in between chores and packing the overnight bag. The question was exactly what. I'd pulled the plug on Project Sulaco that week, so I couldn't really do that. I'd already had ideas for a replacement, but I'd promised myself that would give it at least a week before trying something like that again, lest it be undercooked. Then I remembered my old plastic Killa Kans, which had been stripped but forgotten. That'll do.

 


These models were the first plastic Kanz I ever assembled, and I have fond memories of the process. It had a very GW problem of having only one of each gun, something that maybe worried me about a future 10th Ed Ork codex, they've been back and forth on that sorta thing, but even in those early days I could kitbash. Otherwise though, these have pleasingly modular, balljointed limb design, which even with a straight build you can be quite creative with. Just be mindful of the extremities like exhausts or ankles, I had to fix a few bits before and during painting, although that might just be their age.



As projects go, this was a relatively simple one, and I got the vast majority done during a leisurely 24 hour period. I decided early on to replace the ranged weapons on two of them, opting for a Rokkit Launcha and Kan Shoota in the name if variety. My brainworms however insisted I take things a bit further, resulting in two comedy hats and a set of horns. While I'm pretty sure I could have finished them all off in one day, but I was out of sand to make mud paint with, so I put that on hold. You can use bicarbonate of soda, but I've had that mix break down on a few models recently, so why risk it? I ended up getting in some modelling sand by Gale Force 9, which is pretty good, but I need to refine the mix a bit for next time. I’d also opted to use less gap filler on the bases to minimise the risk of chipping.



Job’s a good ‘un.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment