Sunday 26 May 2024

Custom Toy: ROTB Optimus Prime (Core, Voyager)


Something that I could probably do an article on are the "core" release toys from Rise of the Beasts. These mass market toys were part of the wider merchandising push, and were often noted for their relative simplicity and lower costs. Collectors had of course gravitated to the "more screen accurate" Studio Series releases, or like myself had checked out of the whole business, but completionists soon began to take note, especially once things went on sale. The voyagers, including today's subject, have been quite well received. A sleeper hit, almost. I picked this one up a few weeks back, and found an honestly good voyager that won me over. I was put in mind of that FOC Prime from years back; its probably not the best version of what it is, maybe has the feel of budget squeeze in places, but its definitely doing an awful lot right. I mean, the original asking price was £30, the Studio Series version is £35, and I’m not necessarily convinced that the Studio Series is doing a good enough job to make the cheaper one redundant. Its more accurate certainly, but not perfect either, and someone with both needs to the Pepsi Challenge. In any case, I got this for 12 quid, which is “just roll the dice” money for something like this, so maybe I’m being too kind, but it is fun.



As to why this isn't a something that exists article? Well, I don't feel like watching that cucumber sarnie of a film again, and it's hard to put an interesting spin on "Optimus toy is good actually, yes, I know we get one every month or so, trust me.". There are however two flaws; a simple swivel neck made worse by everything else this toy does well, and the abundance of grey plastic. I can however fix that last one. So, this is a custom toy article... enjoy the novelty.



Now, I approached this task in much the same way as I would weather a gunpla. Applying paint to a Transformer toy is non trivial matter if course, they aren't designed to be painted outside of the factory, the plastic resists taking paint, and you could accidentally gum up something. I judged that with the lightest of drybrushing and washing I could work with the plastic as is, and make the toy less grey. This meant a make-up brush and Vallejo Chainmail in robot mode, and Dark Gunmetal for his gun. This was then followed by the old stand by, GW's Nuln Oil. Once that had dried, I converted the toy into truck mode, and then gave the newly revealed bits, like the roof and grill, the same treatment. I picked out the tail-lights in blue, before using a very light drybrush of Zandri Dust to conceal some mishaps on the wheels, and make a few bits look dusty. I don't know how lasting this paintjob will be, but given I'm working with the plastic, rather than against it, its probably fine. At worst, it would make things look newer, I suppose.





Job's a good un.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment