Wednesday 29 May 2024

Project Chem-Dogs: Part 8

I realised something this week. If I finished off the command squad I was doing, made up those Ogyrns, and built my second tank as a Leman Russ Demolisher, I'd have a 1000 point force. Not a complete army, but that felt like a natural stopping point. I still had ideas, and stuff I wanted to, but maybe the weekly format was no longer needed, and a break was called for. So, with that in mind, I'm going to talk a bit about the three units I worked on this week, with an aim towards wrapping things up in part 9 or 10. So lets look at what I was working on this week. In between being very distracted.



The Platoon Command Squad, (plus two random arsonists,) was probably the most routine of what I did. I’ve largely got the hang of infantry now, although in the name of convenience, I opted for pre-made facemasks and helmets. The squad was cobbled together from old Cadian, Iron Brothers, and Stargrave sprues, and was visualised as the staff counterpart to Big Fi-Fi's gang. The main difference was the presence of a mortar rather than a lascannon, both as a timesaver, and to allow this squad to be more of a backfield unit, assisting my mortar teams. These went OK, but the recast plasma pistol is a bit naff.

 



The second tank, a “Battlecat" EDIT- Battledog, I've been confusing them, this time, was put on the back burner, as I awaited a Baneblade waterslide transfer sheet. I did not want to do this. I still do not want to do this. Water transfers suck in a manner normally found in manual gear boxes or woprk-related social events, but it was looking to be the only option. I’d tried cheap stencils and paint pens, and while this method shows promise for Orks or Gaslands, I needed something more precise here. Once I got the transfers, I started putting the tank together on Sunday, and started experimenting with those transfers on the Monday. The tank got within a hair’s breadth of completion in time for my Tuesday cut-off, but I had to hold off on weathering until I was sure the transfers would behave themselves, as they needed weathering too. I think I've got it now, but why rush headlong into a mishap? As for why I went for a Leman Russ Demolisher, rather than a vanilla Russ, or the current flavour of the month, the Vanquisher? Well, the thing about the Demolisher is that if you need something killed to death at pointblank range, its hard to beat a Demolisher. Plus I could field this as a Tank Commander, if I want to later on.




The Ogyrn Squad is something I picked up mainly as a fun concept, which I could also acquire cheaply as a loose sprue. These are Wargames Atlantic's Landsknecht Ogres, a primarily fantasy themed kit, but they also have guns and such for sci-fi purposes. I figured that if I spent some time filing down the fancy trousers, and building things back up with green stuff, they'd fit my theme well enough. This was a bit if a learning experience, and I might try doing some of these as Bullgryns next, once I've got my eye in. I didn’t get nearly as far with these as the two above, but hopefully I’ll have them presentable by my next update.

 


 

Up next: the home stretch, and maybe an analysis.


No comments:

Post a Comment