Sunday 6 December 2020

Plamo: Grot Tank (Warhammer 40K, World War Toons)

Baby tank, doo doo doo doo doo doo 

Baby tank, doo doo doo doo doo doo

Baby tank, doo doo doo doo doo doo 

Baby tank!

Sorry.

 

During the last moments of Orktober, I chanced upon an absolutely wonderful orky tank diorama, and eventually decided to have a go myself. This project was not completed until late November, and is still technically unfinished as I have yet to complete a crewman for the turret. I'm having a bad time with orky skin just now, and not liking the results from two different techniques. But as the majority is done, and that which is done is good, here we are.





The main kit is a Meng KV-2, as part of their "World War Toons" line. Meng isa fairly serious name in scale modelling, but this appears to be merchandise from a cutesygame. This means the tank has exaggerated proportions, but the kit didn't feel dumbed down. The only complaint I'd make are the rubber tracks, but that's a common weakness of tank kits. I'll probably come back to the merits of these in a future article, but these seem rather good for a tenner. As the KV-2 is quite excessive even when depicted normally, this project immediately morphed into an Orkish enterprise once I had it in hand, as opposed to a straight build like I originally wanted. More specifically, a Grot Tank, a vehicle built by the perpetual butt monkeys of Warhammer 40k, Gretchin. A.K.A space goblins. Its not game legal, as far as I know, but I haven't bothered to check.




The tank was assembled largely as per instructions, and then dressed with any bits that fit. I also applied a packet of stick-on gems to imitate rivets, an effect that worked here, but on reflection needed more glue in places. As I had doubts about the tracks, I mounted it on a base made from a stack of old cds. Jobs a Good 'Un.



No comments:

Post a Comment