Sunday 24 July 2022

Oldhammer: Kan Upcycling

 


This article follows on from this one, where I discuss the salvaging and repainting of some metal Killa Kans. So, with the "factory spec trio"done, I had 4 Kans left to do repaint. Kinda. Even before I cannibalised them for modelling fodder, these were incomplete. I'd got several in an eBay auction in the distant past, lacking numerous bits, which I compensated for with my first conversions. So, this becomes not such a matter of recycling so much as renovation and modernisation. New arms and guns were required for all, as well as a few hatches and power plants. And, if I'm doing that much work, I might as well make it extra.


 

Now, modernising models like these presents a few challenges. Matching styles is one, Orks having been through periodic redesigns, and proportions is another as scale creep is a thing. As I was still using the original legs, I ended up having to extend the shoulder mounts to give new parts the needed clearance, which wasn't ideal. I also had to scrap my initial run of arms as they looked wrong, too gangling and oddly posed. I went back to basics and used smaller lego bits and beads, which worked better, but with one thing or the other, these Kans have ended up stockier than most. I am however quite pleased with the mono eyes, and the klaws, which were mainly made from vegetable tags and EVA foam sheets, which I'd been meaning to try in a project. While this foam material is totally unsuited to structural use, it lends itself easily to curved panels and crude plating. Meanwhile, the leftover Big Shoota from the Deff Dread found a home here, as I scaled back a bit in the name of fun.



Once the unexpectedly lengthy assembly was completed, I obviously started painting, where upon there were some minor difficulties before it all came together. As can happen, painting revealed some imperfections and weak joins. The wrecking ball for example had its chain replaced with wire as the chain had already broken once in antiquity, and why tempt fate? Sadly, it still managed to demand further gluing once painting was underway. It happens, but it is a nuisance. Also, while the paintwork downplays the flaw, I'm not happy with how the elbows turned out, and I'll have to refine that idea further. I relied too much on green stuff, and a few bits of plasticard where probably needed to complete the desired effect. On the positive side, progress definitely accelerated once I got painting. I tried Colour Forge "Trench Brown" for a spray undercoat, which I’m quite happy with, and refined my homebrew texture paint method. Here I used some common or garden "Burnt Umber" craft paint, which worked much better than I expected. Brown seems to be a colour you can go cheap on... 

 


Nitpicks aside, I'm quite happy with how these turned out. My painting technique seems largely perfected, at least in the realm of "tableworthy", and I am now confident in my skills as a scratch-builder. However, having done 11 ork walkers in rapid succession, it's time to take on a fresh challenge.



Work in Progress Pics



No comments:

Post a Comment