Sunday, 9 August 2026

My Time at TFNation July 2026

 

OK, maybe this is gonna be a bit different. At time of writing, its Monday, not long back from Birmingham, and I’m thinking how I should write up this convention. I've been back and forth; I actually rewrote this at one point. Normally I do a paragraph summary or similar, mentioning what I did each day, and how my travel was. Maybe I would make references to (attempted) socialising. And maybe I talk about how it was on the Toy-Fu table. And all those can be easily touched on, and fit previous patterns. But mainly what happened was that I was both very-very preoccupied, and very-very busy. There’s an ongoing real life thing that I can’t really go into just now, a family matter. This was playing on my mind for most of the Saturday, despite my best efforts to not to let it spoil the event, and pull my weight. What also happened on the Saturday was that Toy-Fu had the best day ever, at the busiest TFN ever. So, very busy, stressed, and distracted, all while trying to do a good job. What helped with all that was friendship. Thank heavens for my friends, especially those that I shared the matter with, and the generally good vibes of the TFN crowd. Ultimately though, my convention experience largely was the stall experience. Not the first time that happened, now that I think of it, but between the demand, we were a person short, and my own feelings, I was more aware of it happening. So, I’m not going to go into the convention experience here, as most of it for me was either trapped-in-my-own-head or doing my bit for charity. If you took at look at the Unicron Trilogy or Beast Wars sections, the odds are I served/loomed-over you. Or tried to sell you that Beast Machines Cheetor. A net positive on the weekend though, and we did some good on the Toy-Fu stall/aisle/annex/Solemnace Galleries. And people were generous too, with their donations.



As is traditional though, I got stuff, and I will now give a few comments on my haul. Definitely more cars and actual Transformers than I was expecting...

Upper/center: Transformers Energon Landmine.
Yes, Transformers Energon now counts as retro. Why this guy? Well, A) he turns into a combat engineer vehicle, and B) look at him. 

Center-left: Transformers/HotWheels GT-Scorcher. Probably the best of the 2nd wave of these collaborations, although I’m not sure if he’s Bone Shaker good. 

Center-right:
Transformers/HotWheels El Segundo Coupe. Not bad at all, but undermined by some Q.C issues. Named for a city in California, apparently.

Center:
Transformers Age of the Primes Sureshot & Spoilsport: I’m not gonna say the set is that bad, but its not selling really the deluxe pricepoint. I got them cheap though.

8 O'clock: A decoy Galvatron gifted by a generous and talented person whom does not use social media.

7 O'clock:
A Skywarp badge gifted by the generous and talented @jakelab.bsky.social.

6 O'clock
: An adorable sticker by the talented @claudovel.bsky.social, themed around chili sauce and Ratchet.

5 O'clock:
An extremely adorable Grimlock key-chain, also by the talented Claude.
 

Some of these may end up as blog articles, I’ll see how I go. I am running a bit behind. On that subject: HOUSEKEEPING.

Due to the aforementioned prolonged real life matters, I will shortly will be pausing blog updates. An article will go live on Sunday the 16th as usual, after-which updates will halt, and regular service will resume on September the 6th. Hopefully things will have stabilised by then. I need to take some pressure off from somewhere.

Cheers for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment