Sunday 22 November 2020

Gunpla: The V08Re-0526 Helmwige Reincar (IBO HG)

When I do a write-up for one of these, I like to check the lore for some context, and to help with the introductory paragraph. Here's what I found out: the Helmwige Reincar is a centuries old, but recently refitted, Mobile Suit based off the Grimgerde. Its named for German opera and Nordic mythology. Its service record is somewhat obscure, the design lineage being overshadowed by the assorted Gundams, and seemingly produced in very limited numbers. Its on screen performance from what I've read isn't that impressive either, and can be summarised as: "holds a sword, pilot killed in a notably violent manner while defending another". None of that really matters however, as it has an obscenely large sword. A sword in fact, so stupidly large, that its longer than the robot is tall, and makes photography a nuisance.

 


Yes, I know it's childish to fixate on that, especially as really big swords are a common anime thing. But the thing stores on a pop-out codpiece mount, I think I am only responding in kind. And, the thing is, it's rather impractical. I don't mean the obvious way, I mean in the "how can I balance this, the joints can't take it" way. The Astaroth I did a while back had a similar problem, in that the internal frame gimmick and disproportionate weapons don't mix due to polycaps, but at least they tried to compensate here. The oversized hands and handles have a tabbing system, and there's optional/mandatory wider feet to help. Then again, none of this is especially unexpected. Iron Blooded Orphans kits tend to have their waist joints based around an unrestricted balljoint, and you've got a problem once the friction is lost. That will probably ruin this guy, as the right elbow is already suffering, and the Astaroth isn't ageing well on the shelf.

 



OK, so about 270 words in, and I've only talked about the sword, the phallic imagery it presents, and how it demonstrates that there is such a thing as too much sword. What else can I say? There is a mace? Part of the sword detaches for what I presume is a back up weapon. For wildly impractical dual welding.



Sorry. Seriously now. The embodies what I consider to be both the virtues and sins of the Iron Blooded Orphans line. You build each body part bones first, before applying armour atop. Toro here has a lot of armour, but it's designed so as not to interfere with mobility. That's both a positive and a negative, due to the aforementioned joint issues. This being the third time I've built one like this, the process offered few surprises but no annoyance. There is a sticker sheet, which is extremely minimal by IBO standards, covering, although I've handled better stickers. Purists may also not that this kit deviates from the show I'd that it was a monoeye, rather than a visor, but no biggie. Visually its pretty good, and I like the Minotaur motif it has going on. This does look like a machine that would charge right at you, especially with the face mask up, and the horns down. It's orky, and I like that.



When you get right down it, the Helmwige Reincar is very typical of the IBO design philosophy, and my taste for the absurd. And the colour blue. But it's inevitable balance issues prevent me from giving it a glowing endorsement, even though I found it a nicely relaxing project.


No comments:

Post a Comment