Sunday 27 November 2022

Plamo: The Inner Sphere Command Lance (BattleTech, Catalyst Game Labs)

A shop near me started stocking BattleTech. You know what that means? Impulse BattleMech purchases! I ended up with three, and put the choice to twitter and here we are. I decided to use the UrbanMech colour scheme as well, which kinda worked…. But I’m not totally happy with it. Otherwise, I don’t have a huge amount to say here, so I’m just going to give a brief description of each. Now in order of chonkitude...



The STG-3R Stinger is a light scout mech based off the VF1-A Valkyrie from Macross. In universe, its a competitor to the Wasp, which has similar inspiration out of universe, a factor that has prompted legal action both in and out of universe. Its a nice little mould this, the flat panel cockpit being no fuss.



So, the VLK-QA Valkyrie? Well, they were clearly reaching for names at this point. This is based on the VF1-J Valkyrie, basically the same mecha as above, just with a different head. The BattleTech interpretation however makes it bigger and adds a missile rack. It's still a relatively light mecha though, but it punches above its weight with a LRM10. I'm not found of the cockpit glass on this one though.



The MAD-3R Marauder is something a bit different. Macross had aliens too. They were called the Zentradi, were mecha-sized, and seemed to have a genetic predisposition towards otakudom. The Marauder is based of their Roiquonmi Glaug Battle Pod, which is probably their second most memorable design. This explains its size and odd proportions, there was originally a big dude in a rather cramped torso cockpit. Performance-wise, the Marauder is considered a design classic, and the model holds up to that legacy. My paint job? Not so much.



Going back to the human designs of Macross now, the ARC-2R is based off the Destroid Spartan. As an associate commented once, this is pretty far removed from the source, as they took a close combat design with a club, and repurposed it as a missile boat. It's basically a Catapult with arms, more actual missiles, and an overheating problem, but the model came out quite well.



To be honest, I don't think this is my best work. It's fine for tabletop, but I'm inclined to go back to my greens for the next BattleTech project.

No comments:

Post a Comment