Tuesday 15 August 2023

Post-TFNation Ramble Post

 

Well, TFNation is over for another year. For the unfamiliar, TFNation is the main British Transformers convention. While frequented by increasingly large numbers of people, the Transformers fandom tends be rather close knit. Its the kind of event where you can run into somebody famous in a lift or at breakfast, although its still considered impolite to bother someone with their morning coffee. As a fan, I’ve been a regular, tending towards being a person on the other side of a stall. I traded there, and now find myself helping the charity institution that is Toy-Fu. I kinda drifted into this as I have a few friends in that group, and I like to help, but its good work to be doing. As a convention, I found myself immensely enjoying my company, but less the actual events on offer. I don’t get out much, and I was actively trying to break some habits, and on that level? A success. I got to meet many people in person, met a few new people, while having a good time. I however largely forgot about the panels and such. Something I realised recently was that I tend to view all things as a task to be completed, and that’s not a clever way to live. Its a habit I’m still trying to break, and the TFN weekend was a test for that, and an attempt to refine my social skills. The panels fell by the wayside, but I’m very happy with the social side. But let’s be honest, you’re probably here for the toys pictured above, so let’s talk about those.

 

 

Holy Grails: Macross VF1J & G2 Hooligan

The thing about Toy-Fu is that they keep on getting stuff I never expect to see in person for a sensible price. It would be my favourite stall even if my friends weren’t there. The VF1J is a reissue of an early 80’s toy, and one that was way ahead of its time when it came to engineering. Its a big boy with a lot of metal in it, and as a Macross fan I couldn’t say no. Special thanks to my friend Karl T. On the other end of the size and material spectrum, there’s Hooligan. The thing about the G2 Transformers line is that people tend to focus on the colours. Colours which often put me in mind of what happens after a toddler eats some crayons. What the line actually did though was was popularise balljoints and light-piped eyes, something which the Cyberjet group did very well in miniature. Hooligan personifies both aspects, and is an utter joy in tiger stripes.

 

 

Retool Menagerie: Medix, G2 Universe Cybertronian Trooper, & Miner Megatron

A bit on an odd mix here, these guys were purchased because I hadn’t had the mould before bad/or would represent good blog fodder. Medix is a Rescuebot, whom through the wonders of mould reuse, ends up with enough dakka to satisfy your average ork. Miner Megatron is an “origins” spin on a mould we’ve all seen before, which I have a few things to say about. And the Trooper is based off Legacy Skullgrin. Now, Skullgrin is possibly the worst Decepticon deluxe of recent times... but I did find this compelling. Possibly a superior retool, but not much in it.

 

 

Oddball: Gundam Universe non-scale OZ-06MS Leo

This oddly swole depiction of the otherwise svelte Leo was acquired from Gundam Mad, whom I somehow avoided buying actual gunpla from. As you may have observed, I kinda love the Leo, so I grabbed it. Its pretty good. Nice accessories, is better than the GU Tallgeese, but it doesn’t have literally everything.



Little Bits & Stickers  

The stickers are by my talented friend Claude, and the mini-con was from fandom legend Mellowshade, whom was handing them out. Matt the ToyFu customiser was also giving out things, here the cyber key and decoy. Finally the blast effect was by @theGlaug. Thanks lads.



Favourite Purchase: Legacy Armada Universe Optimus Prime
I don't know if he lives up to the hype. But if he doesn't, he's damn close. Serious ratchets, good looks, and surprisingly good engineering touches. I can nitpick here, and maybe its the new car smell, but this is nice.


Expect further commentary on some/all/none of the above in the future, but with more Orky projects already in the pipeline.


Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment