Sunday 26 November 2023

Gaslands: The Return


So, you may have noticed how I suddenly stopped posting about Gaslands. I doubt it, maybe 3 people read this blog regularly, but it's at least possible that the change in content might have registered with you. You might think this was me getting bored of the topic, and you'd be half right. I did get bored with it, but before that, I was involved with a long term Gaslands project I couldn't really talk about. I'd had the idea of doing some friends a car each as novelty gifts, and I couldn't post about them here without theoretically spoiling the surprise. Also, as there were 7 of these friends, I got pretty good with my techniques by the end of it, if in need of a break. They liked 'em, if you are wondering. Advance to the Orktober Stompa and it's aftermath, I decided to do some more, alongside the Tonks Project.



The first, "BeetleBum", was just to get my hand in again. It had been several months since I'd tried to do a Gaslands car, so I threw together some bits in the colours of my Ork/Rutherford team. This car features some bits I've not posted about previously. Pride of place goes to the rocket pod, which comes from North Star Miniatures "Instruments of Carnage" plastic sprue 1. This is an intensely useful set of Gaslands weapons and gubbins, stuff I can’t necessarily kitbash, and if you're new to this, I'd recommend it over the Ramshackle Games resin bits. The Ramshackle stuff isn't without it's charms though, I.e. Ork drivers, and I used a resin panel here too. The base car is a kind of Volkswagon pick-up truck that I got from Poundland. These are/were two for a pound, and honestly aren't that great, but if you're gonna be using 'em for Gaslands, their weaknesses mean little. Happy with the result of a few hours work plus spray painting time, I moved onto another.



The next car was somewhat more involved, and rather obscure. I'd picked it up for a quid at the Brum Toy Fair. The stamp on the underside identifies it as a "Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels Morgan Plus B", so I may be ruining a classic in doing this, but it was pretty banged-up before I got there. The wheels had seen better days, so I'd try adding the ones from the Carnage kit mentioned above. And as it was open-topped, I'd add in some Ork crew. In game terms this would be a repeat of the Dakka Car, but why not? 

 


Oh wait… This is a belated Orktober post!



This was a fairly easy process, but did expose some minor weaknesses with the Carnage kit. For some reason, the gatling guns lack an obvious bit fir the bullets to come out of. an artefact of the scale I think, as this sprue tends towards a more realistic scale than I usually do these in. So I put a bit of tubing on the end of each. The new wheels also required a moments thought, as these are reversible and lack an obvious mounting point. I decided to use some small washers to help things stick. Painting them happened, with the crew painted separately before attachment. I named it "His Lordship's Sunday Dakka". 

 



I did these two up just as I started Project Tonks, before moving onto that more seriously. It was a fun little diversion, although I think may taken Gaslands as far as I can with common toy cars. Creatively speaking, if you get me? I may need to move out of my comfort zone a bit, like a colour scheme that isn’t tetanus in blue, or try a more elaborate entry. Hopefully by the time this goes live, I'll have an idea where to go next. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment