Tuesday 5 March 2024

Project Sulaco: Part 4

Part 4. Well, Alien: Resurrection was far from a great movie, but at least it had Ron Perlman. 

 



Right, with my initial plans shelved, I was very much starting from scratch, and I was awaiting a delivery, I couldn't really get into things until Friday night. Even then, I was still a little uncertain where to take things. Looking at the models in question, the Infernus Squad from the 10th Ed Leviathan starter set, two options presented themselves. The first was to lean into the tacticool look, possibly replacing the flamethrowers for more conventional firearms. The second was to lean into the GRIMDARK and do them in cloaks and robes, or as I choose to call it, the not-suspicious-at-all-Dark-Angels look. Furthermore, while I was aware that the models were fixed pose, but I was honestly surprised at how limiting the sculpt was. I mean, James Workshop, your production values speak for themselves, I can't fault you there, but I feel you are being purposely obtuse here. There is no standardisation between each model and it's just a bunch of guys two-handing the same big gun. Is this the chapter house thing again? Anyways, as the GRIMDARK option provided the most opportunities for sculpting, I went for that, and started push-fitting the pieces to feel things out. They go together very nicely, but they don’t come apart easily once they do. This meant the initial five were sculpted/modded as whole figures rather than separately, which would have been sensible.

 



In terms of colours, chapter markings and name? That’s still very much in flux. I’d had the idea of using those tiny beads as the basis of an eye icon, this leading to assorted names, before choosing the working title of “The Watchful Wardens”. Yes, I can’t help being a bit daft about this. If you think that’s too much, read up on Ferrus Manus sometime. The bead idea didn't really work, but I felt I was on to something, and tried again with adhesive gems. I’ve gone for inverted version of The Eye of Providence, a symbol with a storied history, like the Freemasons, but is best known today for its use in conspiracy theories. I’m sure there’s a level of meaning I’m missing, but as far as stupid faux symbolism goes, I feel that’s pretty 40K. Relatively easy to sculpt too. If looking like a pizza slice.



Hopefully, I’ll be onto the other five in time for the next update, which will have modded guns I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment