Tuesday 12 March 2024

Project Sulaco: Part 5

I suppose I could make references to Aliens Versus Predator here. A few well-liked games, some decent comics, and a couple of mediocre movies.



While I don't have anything earth-shattering to report, I had found my groove with the process at this point. I'd opted to change the putty mix, and go thinner, thus improving the look of the fabric. I’d decided for the right shoulder pads to be covered that way, as it meant I didn't have to muck around with unit markings, adding an adhesive gem to suggest a clasp arrangement which was suitably gothic. The second five followed, and while their look was a touch less varied, their weapons were modded into what I'm gonna call heavy lasers. This involved three shapes of bead and a tiny gear to suggest something not a flamethrower. In Xenos Rampant terms, I imagine this as the Armour Piercing rule weapons for an Elite Infantry unit, with the flamer guys having Close Range Doctrine and maybe Demolitions. The squad leader was a little more involved, as while the other four models had uncontroversial firing poses, he his gun stowed and that's not something you need to see in every unit. I placed the gun onto the bolt pistol arm, and on the other a knife cobbled together from a Stargrave bit, putty, and an orkish knife. Said blade then broke off, bastard son of a bitch. So it became a knuckleduster instead. This left the final tidying up prior to painting, which meant I'd have decide on a colour scheme.



What I'm leaning towards currently is the Black Shadow scheme. That's black as the main colour, red for the fabric, then silver and grey, etc to pick out icons etc. I don't think camo is the vibe I want for these. It was however touch & go for a while as if I could get them painted and photographed in time for the cut-off, and ultimately I decided to leave that until next week. Just imagine the above sprayed black, with some metallics on them, and you won’t go too far wrong.

 



One thing I did manage to do was make a start on was the Autoguns. These were pulled together from the bitz box, mainly from Ramshackle Games and their robot range. I had some tracked lower bodies which I'd disliked for the robots, but they are good for machine gun turrets. It was just a matter of finding three matching guns and joining things up with nanoblocks. They need finishing it off, but seeing them alongside the marines gave me a long-overdue feeling of progress.


Up next: hopefully some paint, and maybe an APC.

No comments:

Post a Comment