Sunday 26 March 2023

Gaslands: Another Monster Truck


In my endless hunt for car fodder, I've become increasingly aware of the Teamsterz brand. I've found these in at 8 or so UK retailers, I'm sure there's more, sometimes under their own branding, sometimes not. It's a supermarket "own brand" sorta situation, in that we have a single manufacturer providing for specific niche, that of an inexpensive alternative to bigger brands, and they sell to everybody. While rarely attempting to be specific makes of cars, these do have a virtue beyond low cost, in that they aren't bolted together. So, grab yourself a crosshead screwdriver, and go looking. 

 



This second Monster Truck is a follow up to my first one. Department of Redundancy Department. But, I'm doing a slightly more involved job this time. I took the wheels and bits from the same kind of poundshop toy as before, and sought to merge them with a Teamsterz car which I disassembled. The die-cast bit got the dettol treatment, while I worked on the wheels. This was a bit of a bodge job, as the metal axles were slightly too long, and I wasn't happy with how things looked. I removed the axles, pinned the wheels into place, and attached the whole thing to the actual car with hot glue. Despite my best efforts, the wheels look wonky instead, which isn't a plus. I also neglected to paint the car interior, which ordinarily wouldn't be an issue, except its orange. So, yeah, a bodge job across the board. This is the first time I've tried major structural work on any of these Gaslands cars, so it's forgivable, and I'd rather get the mistakes out of the way before my bits come in and I start on my serious attempts. 

 



Something I do feel a lot better about is the cabling and piping effects on in the “lift kit” area. These were made with various sizes of wire and tube, while the car's original plastic underside was repurposed as greeblies. The paint job was done in my usual style, and looks proper rusty. And to continue the joke, I named it "Medium Jock".




Up next: oh! My bits turned up!


No comments:

Post a Comment