Sunday 2 April 2023

Gaslands: Orks! Deathskull Ones! In Tiny Cars!

 


Well, it was all building up to this, wasn't it? In spite of myself, Orks inevitably come back on the modelling rotation. To be fair, it's not really a stretch, the GW style of Orks maintains a substantial Mad Max debt, and a love of kitbashing. That's about 60% of Gaslands. And yes, these models do feature the bits I have repeatedly alluded to in previous Gaslands articles. 

 


So, what are these bits? Well they are the Orcs: Toy Car Scale set from Ramshackle Games, which you may remember from the Junkernaught project a while back. This is a selection of resin bits in little baggies that took a while to arrive. Just long enough for me to overthink and annoy myself about how I could run such things in game. While there were numerous good "counts as" candidates, Idris for example being one letter from being The Kult of Speed, I settled on Rutherford as it fit my Deathskull sensibilities, although I expect to try other clans/sponsors as I get a better grasp on the game. Now the kit has a lot of stuff in it, much I could probably do myself, but it has one thing I currently can't: crew. That's some fiddly-arse sculpting, if I ever saw it. These became the focal point if the project.



While the actual cars were painted in the same way as my Monster Trucks, the crew would see cautious applications of drybrushing and an aptly named "insane detail" brush. These were painted separately from their cars, with a brown undercoat, and different shades of metallics and blue, in much the same way as my Ork Boyz. This ended up a touch darker than I aimed for, but the contrast between the colours work, and I even managed to do the eyes for once. While they were drying, I did the major colours on the cars, eventually attaching the crew with a combination of green stuff and super glue. Of the initial pair, the "Rokkit Wagon" was the most involved. Not only did I have to assemble the car after painting, I made rockets from tubing and green stuff, something I've struggled with in the past, but worked here. The "Burny Wagon" meanwhile featured less scratchbuilding but more crew because I made it open-topped. I aimed for a side-mounted flaming exhaust like the Kustom Boosta-blasta, and I think it works. I especially love the toothy bastard on top with the big gun. The basis for both are Teamsterz toys, which are not specific cars, which probably helped with the whole effect. 

 


Now, I'd opted for the above weaponry based on my limited understanding of Rutherford teams. These guys get extra Audience Votes if you score at least 6 hits a single volley, extra ammo, as well as various Perks that enable such things. Therefore, the above vehicles feature weapons with a lot of dice, assorted grenades, while still being cars for speed. More usually however, it seems Rutherford fields trucks, which can carry more stuff, but go slower. I did consider this, and I planned to do so for a second batch. What with one thing or the other, I ended up only doing one, but within time to easily fit within this post. It was based on a charity shop find of unknown origin, one with so much plastic in its structure I could have left the die-cast bit off, and it would have been fine. I put the die-cast back on, put some mesh on, applied some panel bits, and free-styled a large gun for its flatbed.

 


Now, you could put a 105mm Tank Cannon on a truck, and that's what I had originally intended to do here. Due to how Rutherford works, and orky excess, a tank gun was entirely justified. When I had the cannon built I realised it was probably not quite right for that, but it did make sense as a BFG. Yes. A BFG. The seemingly the single most destructive weapon in the game, with but one shell, and with such recoil it puts the car into reverse when fired. And its as cheap as chips. So, I had to have it. If you were sufficiently deranged, you could put 3 trucks like that in a 50 Can team, and maybe two instances of the Crowd Pleaser Perk. Tempting…



So, this was a long time coming, and I’m glad to have this done. An almost total success.

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment