Sunday 3 December 2023

Resin: The Ramshackle Games Goblin Tank Range (By Fox Box)

 

Wait, wait! This isn't Project Tonks! Tonks adjacent, certainly, but not Tonks. Tonks are about 1:75, these are 28mm scale proxies for 40k. Grot Tanks, basically. So, yes, there's a lot of overlap, the same basic hyper-fixation, but I promise a slightly different experience this time.



OK, so during Orktober, Ramshackle Games, my preferred resin dealership, announced two new vehicle kits, the "Goblin Range Slug Tank" and the "Goblin Range Raider Tank". Notably, these are not sculpted by Ramshackle itself, aka Mr Curtis, but rather Fox Box, a similar sort of enterprise that has a collaboration thing going on. I ordered one of each. Now, I had intended this to be a "pallet cleanser review " sorta project, to fill a weeks worth of holiday, but I had forgotten something in the month or so they took to arrive. Ramshackle Games likes to empty the mould into the box they send you, so I ended up with 4 turrets, 3 hulls, and at least twice the guns you'd reasonably need. Gotta love Ramshackle Games. Its like Five Guys and their fries, regardless of the size of tub you select, you always get a bag of chips. So, as four is the minimum required size for a unit of Grot Tanks, the only reasonable option was to bodge together a forth hull.



I need to make a few comments on the actual models though. The resin seems different from Ramshackle's usual fare, with lots in the way of wafer-thin flash to remove. There's also chunkier bits, as well as bubbles. It's not difficult to clean up, and seemingly less brittle than the usual, but there is stuff to do. The Slug, the unexpectedly duplicated one, also came in two distinct variations, one with the exhausts as a separate piece, and one where it was pre-attached. That was helpful for differentiating them. Otherwise, I kept the trio largely as stock, adding icons and such, before taking a swing at the kitbashed kommander tank. Visually, these are nicely sculpted pieces, with a great selection of weapons. I think I prefer the “Raider” style, but there’s not much it. One observation I would make though is that the models are, like the more recent GW Ork plastics, possibly too unique in their sculpt. I mean imagine three slugs with exactly the same armour patches on them? Its the Squigbuggy all over again. That’s a minor complaint though, and if you’re not trying to customise orkish vehicles when you make ‘em, you’re probably doing it wrong.



With the Kommander Tank, I wanted to get something that fit the look and feel of the resin models. This meant a resin kitbash, and fortunately that's something I have the materials for and have done before. The main body and engine block are Ramshackle Games bits, giving it the same heft as the others, with the turret and one weapon being taken from the spares mentioned above. The tracks where taken off an old Guntank who’d came second in a fight with gravity, and were unchanged. Other detailing like the exhausts were scratchbuilt or kitbashed, as, for some reason, I’ve gotten pretty good at making small tanks. Its the biggest of the four, but given that its got two guns on it and is meant to be in charge, that’s not really an issue. Painting then continued in my usual “Deathskull Rust Bucket” Style, but it was hear I realised that a make-up brush would work on small things as well as big things. This made things ungodly quick.  Although, given the state of my hands, I should have worn gloves.




Overall? I like how these turned out, and these goblin tanks are worth looking into.

No comments:

Post a Comment