Sunday 4 February 2024

Gaslands: Scratchbuilt Buggy


I've actually had the opportunity to finally play Gaslands a bit of late. Been teaching a few people, and I received a generous gift of scenery at one point. Folks seem to like my models, and it's nice to actually experience the game. As a modelling project though, Gaslands has however been on the back burner. I don't really need to make more cars, at least until/if/maybe a racing circuit forms at my local gaming centre, and I've made so many that it's not hugely engaging. Then an idea hit while I was at work: I realised how I could make buggies while changing price labels. Buggies are amongst the cheapest rides in Gaslands, but also something tricky to source. Your average charity shop or toy aisle is pretty certain of having mundane cars and sports cars. But a dune buggy? Not so much. These are smaller, open plan and tend to trade roofs for a roll-bar. Think Beachcomber, but more so. An engine, a lightweight chassis made from scaffolding, and wheels. They are usually less solid as a design than the famously robust diecast car is, which is possibly why you don't see them about much. My realisation was that if I got some dirt cheap cars, specifically a twin pack of plastic ones with cartoony proportions, I could make those into buggies. Just rip the shell off, build a new chassis atop the wheels, put an engine looking bit out back, roll-bar, and then add some resin ork crew. Job's a good 'un?



Well, as it turned out, yeah. My brain worms had me working on this idea of a Saturday evening, and while there was a certain amount of hot glue and bodging, things came together quickly. My bitz box presented some toy car innards for seats, and a resin bit that made for a good engine block. That cut out some faff, although getting the crew to fit was a matter of trial and error. Making the roll-bar was also unexpectedly swift; I threaded little segments of q-tip onto some scrap wire, which allowed me to reinforce it and test fit it without going mad. By the time I called it for the evening, all the key elements were in place, ready for the finishing touches, and then paint. I went for Evil Sunz, aka Idris, with the tires putting up a fight. I probably should have sanded them a bit. That said, it all worked out.



Generally, I'm quite happy with this. It doesn't quite have the fine detail of an actual toy car, but I'm sure that would come with practice. At present, this is more an exaggerated "heroic scale", the sort of detail easily understood in play. I probably made things difficult in jumping straight to exposed crew too. I could have probably have got away with a little mesh box or similar for the crew compartment, which I'm inclined to try for the next one. 

 


 

Jobs a good 'un. 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment