Tuesday 6 February 2024

Project Tankbustas: Part 6

Aye-up, it's the home stretch.



Following the mixed results of the previous week, I opted to slap some paint on my prototype squig. The idea was to see how well the details came through with my painting techniques, mainly dry-brushing and washing. The simplicity of the sculpt didn't necessarily suit those techniques, so I'll have to work on that, but it worked OK. I did chance upon an easy way to do pupils, using a push-pin with the merest hint of black on it. Reactions to "Blep", as I named him, on social media was quite positive, with occasional comments relating to his big eyes and the need for decaff. It's definitely got character, but further refinement was needed. 

 


 

After a brief-but-unsuccessful attempt to make a spacemarine from beads and putty, brainworms again, I started on the bomb squigs proper. These were built as a pair, using the construction style as Blep. The eyes here were stick-on gems, and I raided my bitz box for spare rokkits and grenades; both as a time-saver and to help them match the team. These ended up a bit thicker in the legs than intended, but otherwise were improved across the board. I added more fur to break up the plain surfaces, added butt cheeks for the same reason, god help me, along with straps, fuse wire, sacks, and mounting points for the explosives. The expressions on the faces ended up being a bit daft again. In fact, I’d describe them as having gone horribly right. One looks like a properly toothy little bastard, and the other one having an awkward smile worthy of a retail worker. Building up the details was an iterative process, and I still have much to learn, but I felt this went well. Certainly good enough for what amounts to a pair of reminder tokens. I then proceeded go back to the tankbustas proper, giving them another look, and added a few more details. I ended up calling these “Frodo and Samwise”.


With this, Project Tankbustas nears its end. Its just a matter of adding texture to the bases, and then I can think about painting. And the next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment