Sunday 1 May 2022

Plamo: The CRD-3R Crusader (BattleTech, Catalyst Game Labs, “dubious”)

I know I talk about the Unseen a lot here, but it's kinda unavoidable. It was a big rolling legal battle that featured one of my favourite animes. So, I was very pleased when a mixed lot of "dubious" figures presented me with one from SDF Macross, the Crusader. Like the Orion, this ended up being used as a paint scheme testee, before I decided to give it its due as a proper playing piece. It joins the Griffin in a 60 ton lance.



Even by the standards of the Unseen, the situation with the Crusader and its kin is somewhat convoluted. Its based off a specific equipment load-out for a transforming jet fighter, namely the VF-1A with armour add-ons. Yes, someone thought the best thing you could do with a plane was to turn it into a tank, just go with it. Its a highly toyetic concept which only really mattered in one episode. Subsequently, early BattleTech split what was one machine into several, and largely walked back from the transformation aspect. The armour would of course obscure such things, as would the legally distinct reinvention, but the proportions give it away. There's a lean frame that has been over-built. As a weapon of war, it leans towards the heavy support bracket, but has some oddities befitting is origins. Its got a lot of missiles and armour, some literally shooting from the hip. The forearms feature the most missiles, as well as welcome secondary armament like medium lasers and less-welcome accessories in the form of machine guns. While supposedly a good melee combatant, the design lacks jump jets & has heat issues. I think I may field this as the CRD-3L version, which addresses these issues to an extent. In either case, the contrast to the Catapult is an interesting one. A Crusader does not lack for dakka, and is certainly versatile in its base form, but I’d say the Catapult was more optimised for the “shoot and scoot” tactic.

 


Painting this one posed a few minor problems, some of which I probably created for myself. Through some combination of dettol and manufacturing fault, this model didn’t have an especially good finish when I came to paint it seriously. And I didn't notice the mould line on the head until I'd finished, arrgghghgh. While well-suited to drybrushing, I made things difficult for myself by attempting a two tone green, which didn’t come out especially well. You see, I wanted to highlight the exaggerated proportions by having the biceps in a lighter green, but the contrast wasn’t enough. I ended up using Citadel Moot Green, and possibly when too far in the other direction, but it don’t look bad. The main innovation here was the use of “Gamer Grass”, which I regret to inform you that it is not some kind of cannabinoid energy drink. Rather, its a range of basing materials for miniatures, taking the form of stick-on static grass. With a bit of PVA glue to secure it, I’m now a huge fan.



Up next: ..and speaking of the Catapult.

No comments:

Post a Comment