Sunday 29 May 2022

Plamo: The ZEU-6S Zeus (BattleTech, Catalyst Game Labs)


Probably the most odd thing about the Zeus is how normal it looks in the context of its lance box. It's an assault mech and so by definition its a bruiser, but it's Mr Average when standing near the Trebuchet. Or the mechs coming in future posts. The reason is that of the four it's the one with the most conventional body plan, at least until we talk about the missile rack you can punch people with. It leans towards the generalist role I suppose, as while mostly long ranged, it's a "light assault" meaning it can move relatively quickly and doesn't fear a melee. I feel its possibly a bit under-gunned, but then my frame of reference is the Orion and a later-era Banshee, so what do I know? 

 


Painting was relatively straightforward, with the design offering an opportunity to switch around the placement of colours. One thing I keep doing with these is forgetting about the bases, neglecting them until I was already doing major colours. I still like to use a thin layer of green stuff for texture, and that is something I should do before undercoating. No harm done, it gives a reasonable "soft ground" effect, I just need to get a better finish on the black around the base. The cockpit area took me a little by surprise though; there's a collar segment obscuring glass segments. This required a certain level of care and correction, but it pops.

 


Up next: something bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment