Sunday 25 October 2015

My First Impressions Of Transformers Devastation

Well, I caved in and got the game, and I intend to do a more formal review later, but I thought I'd use my currently fluctuating Sunday slot to give my initial opinions.




Short answer: this game is probably awesome.


When playing the game I was immediately reminded of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Platinum Games' spin off from the Metal Gear franchise. It was intense. It was kicking my arse. But it was doing it fair and square. Given my fondness for Revengeance, I had high hopes for this game, and so far its living up to those hopes. I am not a gifted player when it comes to spectacle fighters, but there does seem to be nuance there, even if a lot of it has reportedly been copied from their back catalogue. It also makes very good use of transformation as part of the experience, probably the best game to do so, because you transform at the end of a combo and run people over.

This looks fricking amazing, by the way.

Presentation and fidelity to the original cartoon series, the game's main selling point before and/or after being made by Platinum, is also impressive. The game looks and sounds exactly like the cartoon. Only with a much higher framerate, 300% more action, 1000 times the amount of rock music, and at most, 1% of the suck. I have noticed a few glitches, and an energon cube changing colour for a cutscene, but its otherwise highly-refined and well-executed nostalgia. Its not purely G1 though, as evidenced by some altmodes being changed, such as Megatron being a tank, and there's big chunks of the plot that are drawing from other sources. Let's just say there's a name that will be said, and you will recognise it if you've kept up with Transformers media in last decade or so.

Longevity is not an issue I'm confident in talking about just yet. Platinum Games tend to encourage replays, but I can see how you could speed run this. I am also however pleasantly surprised by the weaponry and loot systems, which give the game a kind of Diablo/Torchlight/MMORPG vibe. There is a certain degree of repetition to things, and maybe there's gonna be a superior sequel to this if we are lucky.


All the above is of course subject to change, but if you see this game for £20, you could do a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment